Self-Study and Inquiry Into Practice: Learning to Teach for Equity and Social Justice in the Elementary School Classroom (Teacher Quality and School Development)De (autor) Linda Ruth Kroll
en Limba Engleză Hardback – March 2012
Self-Study and Inquiry into Practice describes how inquiry can contribute to effective teaching in urban settings. The use of inquiry and self-study as a way of thinking about, understanding and developing one’s practice and one’s teaching supports teachers’ continued inspiration and resilience, enabling them to teach all children effectively in the face of very challenging circumstances. Using rich examples and case studies of how pre-service teachers and beginning teachers have used inquiry to learn from demanding urban placements, Kroll shows the importance of using inquiry and self-study in learning to teach and also in continuing to learn as one teaches. Inquiry is a useful way to understand what students understand and what they learn from our teaching, Self-study reminds us of the power and responsibility we have to ensure that all our students achieve their highest potential.
This book aims to help teachers and teacher educators:
- overcome the ‘wash out effect’ of teacher education when teaching in challenging circumstances
- learn to ask questions and to pose questions to themselves
- learn to think about difficult theory in a way that will be useful to them in the moment
- make inquiry stance a "habit of mind"
- be empowered as experts in investigating and improving their own practice.
1. Learning to Teach Well in Urban Environments 2. Inquiry as a Way of Being in the World 3. Using Inquiry and Self-Study to Address Issues of Equity and Access 4. Constructing Constructivism: Learning about Learning 5. Using Alternative Modes of Representation to Provoke Inquiry into Understanding Student Learning in Literacy 6. Asking Good Questions: Making inquiry a habit of mind 7. Inquiry and Self-Study to Promoto Life-long Learning to Teach
Linda R. Kroll is Holland Professor of Early Childhood Education at Mills College, USA.